A dental emergency can come suddenly and without warning. It throws a wrench in your schedule and you are left panicking, grabbing the phone and dialing the closest emergency dentist, hoping for the best. Patients can be forced to deal with many kinds of dental emergencies: a lost filling, a loose crown — or even…
Pros and Cons of Dental Implants
A dental implant is the closest thing to a real tooth you can get when one of yours goes missing. Most people lose some of their teeth at some point in their lives. According to studies conducted by the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, one in four adults in the U.S. lose most of their permanent teeth by the time they turn 74.
Why choose a dental implant over other options
For decades, fixed bridges and dentures were the go-to treatment options for missing teeth, but advances in dental technology have led to implants becoming increasingly popular. This is due to the many benefits that come with dental implants.
The benefits of getting dental implants include:
- Implants do not hinder the patient's ability to speak or chew properly. There is no adjustment period with implants, while it can take months to get used to prosthetics like dentures
- Implants look and feel like real teeth. Bridges and dentures do not always provide the natural appearance many patients are looking for
- Implants prevent bone tissue deterioration. This is one of the negative effects of having a missing tooth. The jawbone stops getting the stimulation it needs to remain healthy, so it begins to break down. Since implants replace the lost tooth roots as well as the visible part, the patient's jawbone tissue gets to remain healthy
- Implants last longer than other options. The implant that is inserted into the patient's jaw can last the rest of their lives, while the crown attached to the dental implant can last up to 20 years. Patients can increase the longevity of their restorations by maintaining good oral hygiene
- There is no specialized cleaning. Dentures need to be carefully cleaned once a day and soaked in a denture solution. It can easily add up to 20 minutes to the patient's bedtime routine, something most busy people would rather avoid
- Implants keep teeth properly aligned. It is normal for a person's teeth to become misaligned when one or more teeth are missing. The remaining teeth try to fill out the gap which moves them out of their proper alignment. Poorly-aligned teeth are more susceptible to tooth decay
- Implants do not rely on other teeth for support like bridges. The remaining natural teeth do not need to be modified in preparation for the implant
There are a few, not so awesome things about dental implants patients should be aware of. These include:
- Getting dental implants is not always a quick solution. The procedure requires multiple steps and it can take up to six months to complete. Those who need bone grafts should expect to spend up to nine months from start to finish
- Implants are typically more expensive than other tooth-replacement options
- The procedure might not be covered by the patient's insurance
Do not settle for holes in your smile
Missing teeth do not just ruin your smile, it also makes you vulnerable to tooth decay and gum disease. Stop by and explore your tooth replacement options with us.
Let's get started…
Check out what others are saying about our services on Yelp: Read our Yelp reviews.
Many patients who long to improve their smile or address orthodontic problems wonder if Invisalign® is a possible course of treatment. By using clear plastic instead of metal brackets and arches, these aligners are a more discreet alternative to traditional braces. However, not everyone can benefit from this option. Continue reading to learn what problems…
There are many reasons why having a full mouth reconstruction can give you a boost to your confidence. The American College of Prosthodontists estimates that about 120 million Americans are missing at least one tooth. Getting a full mouth makeover involves replacing these missing teeth and making the remaining teeth look better. Read on to…
People who have flaws in their teeth can go to a cosmetic dentist to fix the problems. These professionals can fix many of the problems people have with teeth and restore the appearance of one's smile. Despite the benefits of cosmetic dentistry, however, some people are still wary about getting teeth fixed. It helps to…