Dental SealantsCypress, CA
At Clara Nguyen DDS, we use dental sealants as a way to protect teeth and prevent cavities. If you live in Cypress, CA or the surrounding area, we encourage you to call (714) 361-9306 and schedule an appointment with our dental office. We can examine you and your family before letting you know if dental sealants are the right preventative care solution for your teeth.
What are dental sealants?
Dental sealants are an incredibly thin plastic coating that we brush onto the chewing surfaces of your molars or back teeth. We do so to prevent tooth decay.
Why are they used?
Food can easily become trapped inside the deep ridges on the chewing surfaces of the teeth. These areas can be incredibly difficult to clean so at Clara Nguyen DDS, we prevent food and plaque buildup by sealing these ridges. By eliminating the areas for food to become trapped, the risk for cavities is decreased.
Who should get dental sealants?
Both children and adults can get dental sealants. However, this procedure is most commonly performed on children that have not yet suffered from tooth decay (at least on the tooth or teeth in question). If you or someone in your family has deep ridges in your teeth, this can be a beneficial solution for maintaining optimal oral health.
What is the procedure like?
Incredibly easy. When you visit our Cypress, CA dental office, we can clean your teeth. Afterwards, we will apply a gel to the surface of your teeth and let it dry. Then, we will rinse and dry your tooth again before finally placing the dental sealants. The sealant is literally painted onto the tooth and sometimes dried with a special dental light. The process only takes a couple of minutes per tooth and it is so easy that our patients are usually surprised by how quickly it is done.
Do kids mind getting dental sealants?
Typically, no. The process is easy, fast, and comfortable. There is no drilling or invasive preparation and the sealant itself does not cause any irritation or smell funny. It is truly an easy way to prevent cavities.
Check out what others are saying about our dental sealants on Yelp: Dental Sealants Cypress
What does it feel like after they are placed?
We have found that our patients cannot even notice them. They do not look like anything because they are completely clear. If you run your tongue along your teeth, you may be able to feel a slight difference but they are smooth and will not feel uncomfortable in any way.
Do dental sealants really make a difference?
Yes, they do. By preventing food and plaque from becoming stuck in your teeth, the risk for developing cavities is significantly reduced. As a result, you and your family may experience less tooth decay, fewer cavities and the need for dental restorations. This means fewer dental appointments and more money in the bank.
How often do they need to be replaced?
At Clara Nguyen DDS, we have found that sealants typically last for five to ten years. They are incredibly effective but we will want to monitor them during regular dental examinations. Naturally, there are certain things like chewing on pencils or biting down on ice that can wear down the dental sealant so it is important to make safe and healthy choices regarding what is put in the mouth. If we see that they are wearing down, we may recommend that they are replaced so that you or your children can continue to benefit from this layer of protection.
Where can I get dental sealants?
If you live in Cypress, CA or the surrounding area, call 714-361-9306 to schedule an appointment with our dental office. At Clara Nguyen DDS, we can examine you and your children's teeth before letting you know if sealants are a good solution for you. We can provide you with all of the information you need to make an educated decision and to get started.
Questions Answered on This Page
People Also Ask
Definition of Dental Terminology
- Cosmetic Dentistry
- Cosmetic dentistry is generally used to refer to any dental work that improves the appearance (though not necessarily the function) of a person’s teeth, gums and/or bite.
- Tooth decay is when the enamel of the tooth begins to decay and cause erosion from plaque and tartar on the teeth.
- Dental Caries
- Dental caries is also known as cavities and result from a lack of proper oral hygiene leaving plaque that forms tiny holes in the teeth.
- Dental Checkup
- A dental checkup is an appointment that involves cleaning the teeth, identifying any signs of infection and removing said signs of infection at least once every six months in the office.
- Dental Filling
- A dental filling involves restoring the structure of the tooth by using metal, alloy, porcelain or plastic to fill the tooth.
- Dental Prophylaxis
- A dental prophylaxis is a professional and detailed cleaning that involves the removal of plaque, calculus and stains from the teeth.
- Dental Sealants
- Dental sealants contain a resinous material that we apply to the chewing surfaces of the posterior teeth to prevent dental caries.
- A dentist, also known as a dental surgeon, is a doctor who specializes in the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases and conditions of the oral cavity.
- Gingivitis is the inflammation of gum tissue that results from plaque, other infections in the mouth and poor oral hygiene.
- Preventive Dentistry
- Preventive dentistry is the dentistry that focuses on maintaining oral health in order to prevent the spread of plaque, the formation of tartar and infections in the mouth.
- Tartar forms when plaque builds up on the surface of the teeth and calcifies into a hard surface that is much more difficult to remove and will require professional treatment.
- Tooth Enamel
- Tooth enamel is the protective visible outer surface of a tooth that contains the dentin and dental pulp.
Back to top of Dental Sealants
When it comes to your job, those vacation days are few and far between, and preventative dentistry can help you make the most of them. For many people, vacation days are often used for other purposes. If an emergency happens or they need a medical procedure and some time off work, it comes from their…
Natural teeth serve a very important function, and a preventive dentist can ensure they stay protected. They are the first line of the digestive system as they are used to grind down food into smaller bits that can be easily swallowed. Teeth also help in speech and communication. They are necessary to pronounce certain words,…
While a pediatric dentist only sees children, your family dentist in Cypress sees patients of all ages. Your dentist can see your child, your grandparents and everyone else in your family. Choosing a single dentist for your entire family has lots of benefits. Learn the benefits to see why a family dentist is the right…
Introduced more than 20 years ago, the Invisalign brand of clear aligners has become a popular solution. Even so, some parents still believe that traditional braces are the only option for straightening a teen’s crooked teeth. The fact is that many teenagers qualify to wear clear aligners. If you want to give your children beautiful…